All the Seasons of Shopping

There is "a time to gain, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to throw away; a time to tear, and a time to sew," a time to buy and a time to refrain from buying.  Ecclesiastes 3:6-7

"For years now I've kind of operated under an informal shopping cycle. A bit like a farmer's crop rotation system. Except, instead of wheat-maize-barley-fallow, mine pretty much goes clothes-makeup-shoes-clothing (I don't bother with fallow)." Sophie Kinsella, Confessions of a Shopaholic

After a long celibacy from clothes shopping--hunting them online--looking, but not touching, with desire so pent up, I touch a piece of fabric which thrills my body and brings tears to my eyes. There are indeed seasons to shopping. For Kinsella, it is clothes-makeup-shoes-clothes. For me it is books-clothes-books-clothes.

Shopping is a reincarnation of the ancient human practices of hunting and gathering. I stalk sweaters. I track sales.

Shopping is a sport. It is an art. I write for the practitioners of this most fun art; for those who live in hypothetical fashionista land, and dream of unending walk-in worlds with forests of dresses and oceans of shoes, I write for you.

Comments